Friday, September 22, 2006
posted by PabloPabla at 3:02 pm


This is not exactly the first write-up on the famous Sarawak Laksa found in Kuala Lumpur, specifically Nam Chuan Coffeeshop at Bangsar. Why then do I write?

Well, having read the various other reviews, I have been itching to have a taste of this so-called famous Sarawak Laksa in Kuala Lumpur. In fact, I went twice but on both occasions, it was closed. REMEMBER all you folks out there - It is CLOSED on WEDNESDAYS!!! Don't say I did not warn you. I had to settle for something lesser the last two trips I went.

Anyway, my bosses and I were supposed to go to Segambut for the famous Tom Yam Noodles but due to massive traffic jam at Jalan Raja Laut, we decided to detour and I managed to persuade them to give this Sarawak Laksa a try after reading all the rave reviews.

Now I must say, I am quite critical of Sarawak Laksa especially having had the privilege of tasting Sarawak Laksa from different stalls in Kuching. I even tried cooking it myself. Hey, if you have tasted the real thing from the original place, your expectations go really high. So, with a high sense of expectation of tasting the authentic Sarawak Laksa (I read from the reviews that the stall is operated by a lady from Kuching) whilst having a fear of being disappointed by perhaps sub-standard fare, we arrived at Nam Chuan Coffeeshop at about 1pm.

I quickly ordered the large portion. Rice vermicelli (Bee Hoon) only please. Even though she also serves yellow noodles, I prefer to have it the original way. Thick beehoon is the way to go. Business is good and we waited for about 5 minutes. Hey! When you are highly charged up with saliva drooling for something delicious (hopefully), 5 minutes feels like an eternity.

The sambal belacan that comes with the Sarawak Laksa looked authentic enough but in really measly portion. You can ask for top-up if you want. The wait was like agony and I tried to distract my attention from the waiting by looking around the coffeeshop whilst sipping the teh cina ais I ordered.

Sarawak Laksa at Nam Chuan Coffeeshop

Finally, it came. Wow! The bowl is humongous. The portion acceptable and the aroma of the soup was familiar. This gotta be good. I quickly took a photo (to share with all of you lah) before I started my work on the Sarawak Laksa.

First thing I did was to squeeze the lime over the soup. This is almost obligatory to give the soup a real "kick". The first taste of the soup was heavenly. The second taste confirmatory. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, THIS IS SARAWAK LAKSA. Right here, available in Kuala Lumpur and I am testifying and confirming the opinions of those who have enjoyed it and raved about it.

The soup is full bodied and the santan is just nice. Not too creamy like those Curry Laksas. It is a bit spicy compared to those found in Kuching but I can take that. No problems. The large bowl costs RM5.00. Not too bad, actually considering after cooking Sarawak Laksa myself, I reckoned it should cost at least RM5.00 to be worthwhile selling.

There are three medium sized prawns. Freshness was so-so only. Maybe because it is freshwater prawns. But that's not too important. Overall, I would strongly recommend this Sarawak Laksa stall to those who are in the Klang Valley who have yet to try and wish to have a taste of what Sarawak Laksa is all about.

"Abacus". Learn mathematics counting them whilst you eat.

Oh, by the way, the lady also sells other stuffs. One of which is "Abacus" or "Suan Pan Tze". It is made of yam and glutinous rice rolled into balls akin to abacus. Famous Hakka dish. Not too bad. It is quite fragrant and you can actually taste the yam.

Other food she sells are Pig Stomach Pepper Soup and Kachangma. The latter is a famous dish from Sarawak using Motherswort herbs cooked with chicken and ginger in rice wine. My wife loves it. It is often served during confinement after childbirth.

In case you are still interested, these links might help:-

My Sarawak Laksa recipe
KYspeaks.com - A review with nice hand-drawn map
Masak-Masak - Her first experience
Sun2Surf - Short write-up with pictures


Technorati Tags : ,


 

13 comments:


At 7:50 pm, Blogger Wuching

personally i dun really like sarawak laksa but prefer the curry laksa with plenty of coconut milk type..

 

At 7:53 pm, Blogger backStreetGluttons

I have tried sarawak laksa in sibu sometime back and have found many sold here in KL not only different but much below par .

Shall take yr word and try this one soon ! TQ

 

At 10:28 pm, Blogger Meng

Fantastic! My in laws are from sarawak and I have grown to love it. Now I know where to find it. We make it from paste bought from Sarawak...not so good.

 

At 9:06 am, Blogger KY

agh.. u're making me hungry again.

 

At 3:18 pm, Blogger PabloPabla

wuching : At least both are similarly laden with high cholesterol :)

tonixe : Let me know if you think it is good :)

meng : My wife is also a Sarawakian. We have much in common :)

ky : You started it first. Thanks for sharing your review in the first place!

 

At 12:21 pm, Blogger Otta

Wow you are real food enthusiaste huh. I love sarawak laksa too. The one cafe at Ampcorp mall used to be nice.

 

At 12:26 pm, Blogger Otta

Wow I can tell you are a real food enthusiast. I love sarawak laksa too. There's one cafe in amcorp mall that used to be nice. Alexis in Jln Telawi is also good.

 

At 12:44 pm, Blogger PabloPabla

otta : Yup! I like to eat as well as cook. You are from S'wak right? Or Sabah?

 

At 5:24 pm, Blogger Fashionasia

where in bangsar is this nam chuan wo?!!

 

At 5:51 pm, Blogger PabloPabla

fashionasia : See KY's map here:-

http://kyspeaks.com/2006/07/13/ky-eats-laksa-sarawak-at-bangsar/

 

At 9:58 pm, Anonymous Anonymous

i personally like the sarawak laksa very well ar..coz i m a sarawakian...hehehe....coz the soup is really irresistable...plus the prawn is very delicious..bt,i personally nt like bee hoon la...i prefer laksa mee....

 

At 9:47 am, Anonymous Anonymous

HELP!!! It's hard to get any Laksa Sarawak paste in Klang Valley. Can anyone tell me where I can get some of those paste??? Thanksss

 

At 9:56 am, Anonymous Anonymous

Does anyone know where can I get the paste for making laksa Sarawak?