Tuesday, August 22, 2006
posted by PabloPabla at 10:57 am


Sarawak Laksa is a very well-known dish which originates from, surprise! surprise! Sarawak, Malaysia. Whilst Malaysia is blessed with many types of laksa, Sarawak Laksa remains one of my favourites. There was a recent article in the Star Newpaper which highlighted the uniqueness of the Sarawak Laksa and how it brings communities together.

Last Saturday was no different. This was the 3rd time we cook Sarawak Laksa at home. The first try was the best, the second was not so good and frankly, I was rather disappointed with how it turned out on Saturday.

We invited our group of friends from our Church Small Group (Cell Group) and a few other friends to join us in a session of eating and chatting. As an emergency measure, we bought some fried rice just in case the Sarawak Laksa was insufficient.

Some of the ingredients used

Cooking started at about 11am in the morning by preparing the prawn stock as well as chicken stock. Not less than 1 kilogramme of prawns was used whilst we had 1 1/2 chickens to boil the chicken stock. We took our time, really. Since this was the third time cooking, we pretty much know what comes next and the cooking time required.

By 5pm, I was cooking the Laksa using 3 packets of Sarawak Laksa paste which was left lying in our kitchen cabinet for more than 3 months already. However, tried as I could by "tweaking" the taste with salt, sugar and coconut milk, I could not get the ideal full-bodied taste that I wanted. It was definitely lacking something. Perhaps, it was just waiting for a squeeze of lime when served.

Sarawak Laksa served with a squeeze of lime

We had a good crowd of about 16 that night and we had a good time chatting with one another. In fact, we chatted till about 11.45pm that night. It was great and memorable. Not the laksa though.

After a bit of "post-mortem", we reckon it could be the Sarawak Laksa paste. You see, the first time we cooked, we used the "Double-Swallow" brand of Sarawak Laksa paste. It was good and has a strong hint of spice and body. This time, there was only one "Swallow". Perhaps there is a difference there!

When the food did not turn out good, blame it somewhere else!

Anyway, there shall be more Sarawak Laksa adventures to come in future!

I MUST perfect the recipe!


 

15 comments:


At 12:04 pm, Anonymous Anonymous

well done :)

looks pretty good, but yeah - it takes time to perfect the recipe.

as for me, being a denizen of kuching, i just eat it at the coffee shops nearly everyday!

 

At 12:11 pm, Blogger PabloPabla

laksa : Hi Laksa! Yeah, it actually looks good but it lacks the "kick". I shall have to wait till my next Kuching trip (CNY) but I think most stalls are not open yet. :(

 

At 1:20 pm, Blogger Wuching

oh, i miss laksa!

 

At 2:06 pm, Blogger PabloPabla

wuching : I'm sure you do. Get the paste couriered to you and set up a shop in Melbourne :)

 

At 4:03 pm, Blogger Dianne

Interesting laksa there. By the way, do you have yahoo messenger id? My Yahoo Msg is 'su28us'. I have some questions related to blogging.

 

At 4:29 pm, Blogger Philip

oohhh...very tempting pictures. i've tried sarawak laksa at Laksa Shack. Dunno if they serve authentic laksa sarawak. anyway thanx for dropping by my blog.

 

At 4:45 pm, Blogger PabloPabla

philip : Thanks for dropping by too! Ermm....I've tried it at Laksa Shack and in my personal opinion, I find it an insult that they call whatever they serve as Laksa Sarawak. I heard there's a good one at Bangsar but I've yet to try.

 

At 5:55 pm, Blogger Mumsgather

I want! I want!

 

At 6:17 pm, Blogger PabloPabla

mumsgather : Finish liao! I had the last bowl.

 

At 6:27 pm, Anonymous Anonymous

from a very satisfied guest, "yum-yum-YUMMMMM!!!"

hehe. but seriously, it's 99.9999% alike to the real-deal, if the broth is more pekat and spicier, voila! perfection!

u r there oredi, we mere fellas just beginning to experiment oni. so have faith & cook more, so tat we can sample them again! hehe.

 

At 6:30 pm, Blogger PabloPabla

ja$on : No lah. The 1st time was the tastiest (sounds corny, ain't it?). That's why I lagi disappointed. Suppose to improve wan mah! I must get the Double Swallow. Must try and try till perfecto!

Hmm...sell laksa day time and blog at night for a living...hmmmm

 

At 8:52 pm, Anonymous Anonymous

Laksa Shack does not use the original paste from Sarawak. They prepare their own recipe and claims it to be laksa sarawak.Initially they were using the cockerel brand (new brand) from Kuching. They also use too much santan. The Barrett's brand is being distributed by a company located in Subang Jaya. It has a more spicy taste but it does not have the "oomph" as claimed by others.

 

At 10:40 am, Blogger PabloPabla

anon : Laksa Shack serves Sarawak Laksa with tau pok! That's a first! You can't find that in Sarawak, I think!

 

At 9:29 am, Anonymous Anonymous

Where can I get Laksa Sarawak Paste ay KL? Can anyone help me here??? Thanks

 

At 9:36 am, Anonymous Anonymous

Can somebody tell me where I can get laksa sarawak paste in the Klang Valley? Seem like it's hard to find the paste? Anyone can help me here??? Thanks...