Friday, July 28, 2006
posted by PabloPabla at 12:00 pm


What can you find at Lorong Gombak in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia? It is, afterall, considered a back lane to Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman (also known as Jalan T.A.R.). Now, Jalan T.A.R. is one of the main arteries in the Kuala Lumpur road system. What can a back lane like Lorong Gombak offer?

If you drive slowly and look closely, you will find a very small shop (on the left) which does not have any signboard. Looks busy though with people walking in and out.

This is Restoran Santa. In the mornings, you can have Roti Canai as well as Chapati for breakfast. These are popular breakfast for Malaysians particularly in the Klang Valley. You can have them with curry chicken, curry fish, mutton rendang or even dhall.


The food here is superb and this is shown in the continuous stream of people coming in to indulge in their favourite breakfast. I am one of the regulars here. I come here at least once a week. Just as I was taking photographs in the shop, a guy who was sitting next to me (you got to share tables here because this place is packed!) was wondering why I was taking photographs. I explained to him that I wish to put this up on the internet. I asked him how often he frequents this place and he replied "Dua tiga kali seminggu" (twice or thrice a week)! Yes, there are many regulars here.

Now, this place also serves really good Teh Tarik (literally translated as "Pulled Tea"). The tea is transferred from one container to another by pouring it at a height to mix it well and to give it a good "topping". The tea here is also mixed with fresh cow's milk and this gives the tea a nice fragrant taste. The tea is also very smooth and does not have a "tannic" taste. You can also have fresh cow's milk here, which is really nutritious in value. Unfortunately, the "tea maker" was shy and did not want me to take a picture of him doing his stuff. So, I can only show you part of his workplace!

Apart from breakfast, Restoran Santa also serves lunch and afternoon tea. For lunch, you can either have Chapati or Rice with curry chicken, curry fish, mutton kheema, mutton rendang, dhall, rendang chickpeas, spicy tofu, stir fried beansprouts, potatos and other vegetables. A plate of one meat and 2 vegetables with rice only costs RM4.00 to RM5.00. Very reasonable indeed. For afternoon tea, you can have samosas and pakodas.

The usual capacity crowd at Restoran Santa

Restoran Santa opens on Mondays to Saturdays for breakfast till about 5pm. There is another outlet at Lebuh Ampang but according to the owner, this place is better.

I shall leave you with a glimpse of what I had this morning at Restoran Santa. I first pour a layer of fish curry on the plate followed by a piece of Roti Canai. Then I top it with a layer of chicken curry. This is my usual makan (eating) style here in Restoran Santa.

I fondly call my creation "Canai Soup"

If you have not tried the food here at Restoran Santa, you're missing out big time!

To get there, check out the map below. I know, my drawing is bad :P

If anyone can help me, I would be most obliged.

P/s : I don't get paid by Restoran Santa to do this write up.



 

12 comments:


At 4:25 pm, Anonymous Anonymous

Wow, now I am very hungry. Delicious write-up!

 

At 4:28 pm, Blogger PabloPabla

Welcome Damz!

It IS delicious! Do try it when you come up to KL :)

I've got another one coming soon...saving it for next week's posting!

 

At 5:35 pm, Blogger Tabula Rasa

aarrghh, i never went there when i was staying in kl, should go there next time :) i miss da food

 

At 2:25 am, Blogger Trashed

Yah, me hungry too.

However, I seldom go to that part of KL much these days due to traffic. Yes, there is also the LRT but I have no business to be in that neighbourhood.

 

At 7:27 pm, Blogger adriene

oh, how u tempt me!

 

At 10:48 am, Blogger PabloPabla

merdeitis : I miss the cog-au-vin! I wouldn't mind doing an exchange! :)

trashed : You now have a reason to come down town! Masjid Jamek LRT / Bandaraya LRT is the nearest stations.

adriene : More to come, adriene. More to come!

 

At 11:19 am, Anonymous Anonymous

Sounds Like good food to me!
I'm headed to the kitchen... after I finish this comment!
Thanks for stopping by.

 

At 11:34 am, Blogger PabloPabla

wolfbernz,

Thanks for dropping by too! Glad to have triggered an appetite in you :)

 

At 12:58 pm, Blogger Wingz

wuah your map is the classic!!! 50 yrs down the line the map will be as valuable as monalisa lol

 

At 1:00 pm, Blogger PabloPabla

Phooiyo! VIP Wingz came visiting! I'm honoured!

Want to buy the map ar? 50 yrs later can auction for big money or make La Vinci Kod

 

At 12:17 pm, Anonymous Anonymous

I must visit that place when I come over to KL. Btw..i have a little interest in analyzing handwriting after a brief foray into that field...is that handwriting on the map yours?

:)

 

At 9:36 am, Blogger PabloPabla

bengbeng : Analyse away Beng! Yes, it's mu humble writing...