Thursday, July 13, 2006
posted by PabloPabla at 5:43 pm


My children are so out of control! I don't know what to do!

Did you grow up on "eating cane" aka "jiak tin tiau (in hokkien)"? I did.

When I was a child, my mum did not spare the rod less I be spoilt. I used to dread it when I was naughty and mum started saying "Gia tin tiau lai!" (in hokkien - Bring the cane here!). Of course, most of the time, it was only me and mum at home. That means, I had to fetch the cane myself :P

Sometimes, the scary part was the anticipation. You know, the time when mum goes to get the cane and you are standing or squatting there waiting for mum to get back and start caning.

Some of you might say corporal punishment is not the way to discipline a child. That it mentally scars the child (apart from the temporary swelling it causes as the cane licks the skin) and leaves a psychological scar to the detriment of the child.

I don't know. Personally, I thank mum (and dad for his approval to mum) for using the cane on me. Hey! I am no sadist but the disciplining by cane did work on me.

Everytime I get caned, I will try not to repeat the mistakes or mischiefs I did. Otherwise, I will get another lashing exercise. I also know that it hurts mum's heart when she had to cane me. There was once when she became teary eyed when I remain defiant during the caning session. I realised that I had hurt her.

Nowadays, however, caning seems to be something which people will take offense to. Parents no longer cane their children when their children do not toe the line. Parents start suing teachers when their children are punished in school so much so that it would appear that teachers are the ones in need of disciplining.

I was once caned in full view of my classmates during Primary 5. Why? I failed to bring my homework to school. I had completed it but somehow forgot to bring it. My teacher (Puan Faridah - SRK Taman SEA) used the wooden ruler (approximately 1.0 metres long x 3 cm wide x 0.5cm thick) to hit the palm of my hand. The ruler broke into two. I was embarassed (co-ed school, you wouldn't want to have the girls seeing you get caned) but I knew that I deserved it. I learnt my lesson. If you are reading this Cikgu Faridah, thank you for instilling discipline in me.

Today, I am an advocate & solicitor and I firmly believe in law and discipline. I have neither psychological scar nor physical scar.

As Proverbs 13:24 says "He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes (diligently)" KJV.