Monday, October 30, 2006
posted by PabloPabla at 3:06 pm


Oh My Kennysia!

Would you say that when you are shocked or distressed or surprised? Or how about "Oh my Minishorts!" or "Oh my Chanlilian!"? Probably not. But many would not flinch an eye or think for a split second when they utter "Oh my God!" or "Jesus Christ!" or "Mother Mary!" or even "Oh my goodness!". Have you heard people exclaiming "Kuan Yin" or "Lord Murugan" similar to the way the name "Jesus Christ" is uttered in conversations? Rarely or even never.

I don't mean to criticise anyone here nor offend anyone. Just a thought in reflection.

People usually respond to calls. What more, God. When one utters "Oh my God!", I believe that God will wonder what is it that we are calling Him for. Imagine His dismay when we are not actually calling Him but rather just using His name in exclamation. His name has been made so trivial, no thanks to some directors of movies and television series. Sometimes, His name is mixed together with profanities and words such as "damn". That is, if you believe in God in the first place.

But if one does not believe in God, then why do they call "Oh my God"? Might as well call "Oh my mother!" or "Oh my father!". But we wouldn't. Because it just does not sound right, does it? And we would not want to call our parent's name or even our spouses' name in vain. But it seems cool and okay to call God's name or even somebody else's God.

For Christians, the 3rd of the Ten Commandments read "7You shall not make wrongful use of the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not acquit anyone who misuses his name." (Exodus 20:7). Clearly, it is prohibited for Christians or Jews or Muslims for that matter to misuse God's name. And I would even extend to say that "goodness" is deemed to be another word or form for "God" when used in the above context.

How about those who are not Jews, Christians or Muslims or even Atheists? Well, just because one does not believe, it is gently advised that it is best not to utter "Oh my God" or "Jesus Christ" in vain. Why take the chance? I suppose they would not be too happy if others exclaim their God's name in vain.

I don't think Kennysia, Minishorts or even Chanlilian would like it if their name is used in vain or mixed with profanities. Would they?


Technorati Tags : , ,


 

9 comments:


At 4:08 pm, Blogger Arth Akal

I try to avoid saying, "oh my God" all the time. Why cant anyone just use "oh my goodness" instead?? Is it because it doesnt sound as cool??

the lord clearly said it, We should NOT use His name in vain

 

At 5:13 pm, Blogger Wuching

Oh My Pablo!

 

At 8:38 pm, Blogger Wingz

Oh Mamamia! ....keh keh keh .

 

At 10:31 am, Anonymous Anonymous

Goodness gracious or goodness me is ok wat. no?

 

At 11:27 am, Blogger PP

Oh dear! I'm not Christian but I try not to take Gods name in vain. After all we don't know what the afterlife has in store for us :p

 

At 11:51 am, Blogger PabloPabla

arth : I think "goodness" is in a way associated with God for it denotes positiveness. I do not study language but I have a strange feeling it may have it's origin from the word "God". In any event, "Oh my goodness" doesn't really mean a thing, does it?

wuching : You called?

wingz : Want a pizza?

anon : Oh dear!

paris : Glad you understood what I wanted to convey through this post ;)

 

At 1:36 pm, Anonymous Anonymous

HE!HE! KENNYSIA SO FAR NO. KANASIA!!GOT HEAR IT ALL THE TIME.

 

At 5:54 am, Blogger HappySurfer

This is an enlightening post for non-Christians. However I feel "Oh my goodness!" is an alright alternative as it does not use God's name in vain. I am a Buddhist but I respect all religions and their God.

 

At 9:06 am, Blogger PabloPabla

happysurfer : Glad to have been able to share my thoughts with you. I was a Buddhist before and I do understand what you mean :)