Wednesday, January 10, 2007
posted by PabloPabla at 2:31 pm


Is it a new phenomenon? Whilst in the news, it was reported that it is like something "Of late...", I really doubt so. I had lost faith in Pos Malaysia since 1991. Of course, there is nothing much I can do about it as they are the one and only postal service in the country. Courier companies are a different category altogether.

Back in 1991, I had to be "separated" from my girlfriend (now my wife) as I had to move to another town. There was no email then, have not heard of internet and definitely no chat programmes. What we had to do to keep in touch was using prepaid phone cards and regular writing of letters. Our letters were regular, I must say. But we then realised that some letters were missing when we did not "respond" to what was written by the other.

Finally, I had to resort to serialising our letters! Yep, I numbered my letters 1, 2, 3, and so on so that we would know if one letter was missing in post. The funny thing is, whilst I diligently numbered the letters, I did not photostat them. I mean, who would go to a photostat machine and make copies of the personal letter (read : love letter) so that the same letter can be reposted in case the original did not reach the recipient? On hindsight, serialising the letters does nothing to ease our anger and disappointment that some of our "expressions" fail to reach our intended recipient. Not that Pos Malaysia cares anyway.

This case of letters missing in transit are not new and has been happening for as long as I can remember. We are now 7 years into the new millennium and yet, cases of missing letters do not surprise anyone. Talk about progress!