Wednesday, November 15, 2006
posted by PabloPabla at 3:43 pm


Don't simply say the word "Bomb" when you are on-board a plane. An Australian passenger found that the word "Bomb" is a no-no on flights when he jokingly asked a SilkAir air stewardess "Where do you keep the bomb?". Riccardo Paulin, having pleaded guilty at the District Court of Singapore, was sentenced to pay S$10,000.00 or in default, 3 months' jail by the learned District Judge Liew Thiam Leng. Though it was meant to be a joke, the law doesn't joke. He was charged under the United Nations (Anti-Terrorism Measures) Regulations which carried a maximum fine of S$100,000.00 or up to 5 years' jail or both. See full report by Singapore's New Straits Times here.

Apart from bomb, please also ensure that you doubly check your bags for anything which is explosive in nature. No C4s, of course.

However, I still vaguely remember when I was about 13 years old and was travelling by plane back to my hometown for Chinese New Year. Having bought some fierce rocket firecrackers (variant of "moon traveller" which can fly quite far) (there was no ban on firecrackers then), I decided to take 3 sticks along to my hometown to show my cousins. I placed them in the luggage and did not feel it necessary to tell my parents. Hey, I didn't even know it was an offence, okay? But when I reached my hometown and having duly set the rocket to flight and enjoying every bit of the moment, I somehow spoke about shipping the 3 rockets to my parents during a conversation.

What greeted me was a real EARFUL! I could have unintentionally caused the flight to blow up! Little did I realise what danger I had brought. Of course, that was the one and only time I did so.

Parents, if you have kids and intend to travel by flight, do double check the bags please prior to check-in. You never know what your kids might put into the bags!


Technorati Tags : , ,


 

3 comments:


At 6:30 pm, Blogger Helen

I am saddened by what I read. I am not in authority to say the judge is wrong, but I would like to take the opportunity here to express my personal thoughts.

I am no lawyer. But, from my understanding, the law is to protect the innocent.

Terrorism is affecting lives. No doubt about it. But to see it overriding the basic human common sense in the name of fear is tragic.

 

At 8:42 pm, Blogger fishtail

Also, if you are travelling with a friend called Jack, don't be too fast to call him. ("Hi, Jack!"). You may suddenly find air marshals pointing their guns at you.

 

At 10:50 am, Blogger PabloPabla

helen : People are getting paranoid these days. The nice people you greet along the street may turn out to be a murderer in disguise...We ARE really living in a fallen world.

fishtail : LOL! That's a good one!