Thursday, November 02, 2006
posted by PabloPabla at 12:57 pm


Huat Kee Fish Ball Mee


I noticed over the past couple of months that a new Fish Ball Noodles shop has just opened along Jalan Loke Yew in Kuala Lumpur. Business seems to be good and the restaurant is usually packed. I had the chance to try it out yesterday.


Huat Kee Fish Ball Mee is on the left as one faces
the direction
of the old Edinburgh Roundabout
from the direction of Fraser's Park / Federal Bakeries Roundabout.

Further down the road on the left are Bridal Shops.


Huat Kee Fish Ball Mee is located at No. 148, Jalan Loke Yew, Kuala Lumpur. It occupies a corner lot and is near the Federal Bakeries / Fraser's Park roundabout. As you go around the Fraser's Park / Federal Bakeries roundabout, head towards the direction of the old Edinburgh Roundabout. The restaurant is located at a stone's throw from the Federal Bakeries / Fraser's Park roundabout. Slightly further down the road is a row of Bridal Shops which Jalan Loke Yew is famous for.

I thought this shop is new. It is not. I am informed that this restaurant used to be located further down Jalan Loke Yew. However, as almost all the workers there are foreign workers, I had problems getting full information from them due to communication problems.

Fish Ball Mee

Now, let us talk about the Fish Ball Mee which I had. Costing RM4.00, I ordered the normal portion Fish Ball Mee in Soup which comes with 6 medium sized fish balls, 1 fish wantan and 2 small slices of fish cake. A generous amount of chopped chinese parsley is sprinkled over the soup which adds a refreshing taste to the soup (if you don't like it, do inform the waiter). Fried pork lard is also added to the soup to give extra flavour. The soup is clear and tasty which I believe, was cooked using fish stock. The fish balls are quite good but not really the best I have tasted. As for the fish wantan, they are quite similar to those sold in wet markets or supermarkets. The fish cake is too small a piece for me to make any note of its taste!

Overall, I think if one is to compare this Fish Ball Mee with others in Kuala Lumpur, I would perhaps give it an above average score but I won't say it is the best. Comparatively, I would rate Ah Koong Noodle House in Changkat Thambi Dollah as being a better choice. The crowd at Huat Kee Fish Ball Mee is quite good and perhaps, they have their regular customers and supporters. I was there early in the morning and it was quite quiet then.

These are the prices quoted :-

Fish Ball Mee - RM4.00
Add Fish Ball - RM5.00
Add Fish Wantan - RM5.00
Add Fish Ball + Fish Wan Tan - RM6.00
Add Fish Ball + Fish Cake - RM8.00
Fish Cake - RM7.00
Fish Ball per piece - RM0.40


Huat Kee Fish Ball Mee is open from 7.30am and a phone number is published (I did not try the number) in case you need to call them : 012-2129596


Technorati Tags : , ,


 

4 comments:


At 2:30 pm, Blogger Babe_KL

aisay this the place i was looking for after they've shifted from san peng flats!!! thanks for describing the new location

 

At 10:51 pm, Blogger PP

I tried this a couple of weeks ago and was not very impressed unfortunately. The fish balls were nicely springy but I found the noodle soup a tad too salty and expensive. I like the fish balls served at the Tengkat Tung Shin char kuey teow stall.

 

At 9:01 am, Blogger PabloPabla

babe_kl: Glad to be of service!

paris : I tried this place because I was impressed with the crowd whenever I pass this place. But I don't think I will bother stopping by again ;P

 

At 10:25 am, Anonymous Anonymous

Lol... I tried it for the same reason and like you I'll just pass next time ;)