Wednesday, June 13, 2007
posted by PabloPabla at 10:39 am


That's exactly what happened recently. I was at a popular hypermarket in town when I was approached by a credit card sales personnel promoting her bank's latest credit card. It was a cash-back card with annual fee waiver if I conduct at least 6 transactions with the card annually. I thought, why not? After all, the hypermarket is one of the recognised retailer of the credit card which grants a 4% cash back on all purchases. That is as good as RM4.00 discount for every RM100.00 spent. And when you have baby milk powder and diapers to buy every month, cash back in whatever form is more than welcomed!

What surprised me was after I received my credit card (which gave me a flattering credit limit, to which I am most pleased), I received another envelope the following day. I was wondering why they sent me two envelopes as I had already received the credit card applied for the previous day. After opening the envelope, I realised that they have also processed and granted me a Platinum Credit Card with a similar credit limit. They must think that I have made it in life and am on the upper echelon of society where the prestige which comes with the card makes me a highly esteemed person (amongst the couple of thousand others who also received the card). The best thing is, there is also the annual fee waiver with similar terms as the other cash back credit card. That shouldn't be a problem as I pump petrol more often than I shop.

Makes me wonder....if the Platinum Credit Card was issued to me so easily (and I deny that I am amongst the upper class of society as their platinum coloured welcoming brochure claims), how many others also have it. Anyway, whilst I have this Platinum Credit Card, I actually prefer to have my current credit card issuer to upgrade my card instead of the silver which I have been holding for the last 8 years or so. Why? Because their rewards programme rocks!

Actually, if you are holding a credit card now, why do you prefer this card over the others?


 

5 comments:


At 11:05 am, Blogger NickTay

dude...annual fees and service fees are much higher for platinum cards. I suggest if you don;t use it, cancel the card, especially since you didn't apply for it.

 

At 11:18 am, Blogger PabloPabla

Thanks nicktay! I am quite aware and have read the fine prints as well as checked with the phone officer. As long as there are 6 transactions (whatever amount) done in a year, the platinum card comes with annual fee waiver. No service fees.

 

At 6:08 pm, Blogger PB

If its free, keep the card. Platinum cards come in very useful sometimes when you feel the need to "flash" some plastic. I don't have one but a friend does. Got it about as easily as you did. I'm also wishing the bank in the citi will upgrade my card already. 8 years is a long time to be merely silver :P

 

At 6:15 pm, Blogger PabloPabla

paris : LOL! We are both kept waiting by the citi :P

 

At 9:47 am, Anonymous Anonymous

That citi is damn tau :P Anyway take you are TAGGED. Feel free to use whichever blog you want :)