Tuesday, July 31, 2007
posted by PabloPabla at 2:59 pm


Firstly, for the sake of this post, let me confine the definition of job-hoppers to those who switch jobs in less than 18 months. I am pretty sure you would have encountered some of these people or have heard about such practices or perhaps, you are one of them!?! Frankly, honestly and with much confession, I don't have much regard for these people.

Seriously, if you are an employer, will you employ a job-hopper which fits the above definition? I know I would be very reluctant to. One of the most common reasons for job hopping is the lure of a better salary or position elsewhere. Or perhaps, the candidate could not fit into the working culture in the previous company.

Now, as an employer, what assurance can I possibly get from this candidate that he / she would not be lured to a higher paying job elsewhere? What assurance can I get from this candidate that he / she would try her utmost best to assimilate with my company's working culture? If I am going to invest into this employee, I need some assurances but the track record might show otherwise.

Granted, there are cases where the employers have ill-treated their employees (over worked, ridiculously low pay compared to the market) beyond the norm and these employees had better searched elsewhere before they lose their sanity. That, I am prepared to accept. Then there are the cases where these employees are victims of discrimination within the company. Finding another working place with equal opportunities would be a practical solution. But job-hopping because of better pay does not really earn one any credits in the "loyalty" department.

Before some of you get misunderstood, I am talking about habitual job-hoppers. Yes, there are some who would be changing jobs every year or so. Somehow, the topic of conversation with these people would be "So, which company are you with now?". You get the drift. You will need to throw away their name cards every now and then because it would be a name card of a previous company that you are holding. So, no point keeping their name cards.

Blame me perhaps for having the idealistic loyal employee character, who is willing to stake out for the employer in good and bad times. I suppose it is also due to my belief that for as long as I am paid reasonably well to afford my current lifestyle and still having time for family, I am thankful. I am thankful that I have a job. I am thankful that God has given me understanding employers throughout my working life (be it part time jobs or full time jobs).

I always think that working life is a relationship. It is a relationship which you cultivate with your employer / employee and colleagues. Afterall, we spend a majority of our waking hours at work and interact with them daily. If at the end of the day, working means job hopping to the next higher paying opportunity, then perhaps, you may be missing out one of the bigger points in life which is to cultivate meaningful relationships with people.


 

4 comments:


At 3:55 pm, Anonymous Anonymous

Well, I have a friend who always job hop, and I admired him because he increase his value everytime he changed jobs. (I think he has more than double his take home pay in 4 years time)Money counts at the end of the day and in this day job loyalty no longer exists, it's competency that counts.

 

At 8:58 pm, Anonymous Anonymous

I aggree with ahkeong.Money is the most important factor. No matter what... whether it's the so called relationship or loyalty, you're just not content if you look around you and find that you're on the bottom most ladder of the corporate world among your friends.With more money it sure improve life what with the higher cost of living that escalates every year.

 

At 2:56 am, Blogger 5xmom.com

I work for :
German boss : 2.5 years
Lawyer!!! : 6 months
Chinaman boss : 12 years

And the conclusion is.....hahaha
I got a meme for you:
http://chanlilian.org

 

At 12:44 pm, Blogger PabloPabla

Ah....so much for loyalty nowadays...