Thursday, August 24, 2006
posted by PabloPabla at 3:04 pm


Life as a litigation lawyer can be exciting at times. Food wise, I mean.

I get to travel to different towns in Malaysia, some of which I have no idea where they are on the map of Malaysia. Anyway, I travel to Klang Court once in a while and it's been more than 2 years since I had the Bak Kut Teh in Klang.

Klang is arguably the birthplace of Bak Kut Teh, which is basically pork cooked in herbal soup. It is so famous that most Bak Kut Teh stalls in Malaysia or even Singapore will have their signboard saying "Klang Bak Kut Teh" to attract customers. Sometimes, the Bak Kut Teh is so forgettable that it is almost sinful for them to associate their so-called Bak Kut Teh with the ones in Klang.

So far, I have been to 3 different shops in Klang selling Bak Kut Teh. They are different from one another. Some sell thicker type of soup whilst some are clear. Today, I finished my matter in Klang Court rather early and decided to stop by at the nearest shop for a hearty Bak Kut Teh breakfast!

Kedai Makanan Seng Huat aka Under the Bridge


I went to Kedai Makanan Seng Huat which is also popularly known as the Restaurant "Under the Bridge". It is located along the same row of shophouses next to the Port Klang KTM station. The other landmark to look for would be the Ibu Pejabat Polis Daerah Klang. Basically, this restaurant is a corner lot. You can either sit in the restaurant or outside the restaurant. Outside meaning, under the overhead bridge.

Polly put the kettle on


Upon walking into the restaurant, you will see many kettles placed strategically around the tables. These kettles are boiling water and are meant for customers to brew their chinese tea. Take a seat and the waiter will bring to you a basketful of tea leaves in bags for you to choose from. I am not really a "chinese tea" expert, so I just choose a nice looking packet instead :)

Tea for you, Sir?


There are 5 really small chinese tea cups with one equally small tea pot for you to brew your tea. Apparently, I was supposed to first put the tea leavs in the pot, pour boiling water into the pot, leave it for a minute and pour the contents into the tea cups. Not to drink, but to rinse the cups as well as to sort of "wash the leaves". You only drink the second brew onwards.

My object of desire


There are many variety of "cuts" of pork that you can choose from : fatty, lean, half-fat / half-lean, ribs, leg, spare parts (meaning intestines, stomach etc). I asked for a half-fat / half-lean portion today together with Yau Char Kuey (flour fritters) and Rice. The rice is mixed with fried shallots for a fragrant taste.


Look at the pork leg!

The soup is flavourful and has a reasonably strong hint of herbs though not overpowering. The meat is really tender and sort of melts in the mouth as a result of hours of cooking. I should have tried the spare parts as well. The Yau Char Kuey is ordinary. I would prefer it slightly crispier. Perhaps it is due to it being exposed too long. Nothing beats eating Yau Char Kuey shortly after it is fried.

Total price for my hearty breakfast is RM12.00. Pretty reasonable considering that's probably one pork leg I consumed!

I am told that this place is open everyday from 7.00am till about 1.00pm. It is then open again at 5.00pm till about 11.00pm.

Being an amateur food reviewer, I forgot to get the address as well as telephone number of Kedai Makanan Seng Huat. Pardon me, I was too satisfied by the Bak Kut Teh that I forgot all about it. If in doubt, just ask for the Klang Police Station. You'll get there!


 

4 comments:


At 10:23 pm, Blogger Arena Green

Bak-kut teh & yau char kuai - mmm, I only wish that these stuff are not so damaging on the weighing scales. :)

 

At 11:30 pm, Anonymous Anonymous

waaaaah!! got time to makan somemore.. wish i could go to klang for their bak kut teh also... *slurp*

 

At 12:52 pm, Blogger PabloPabla

anak merdeka : Throw away the weighing scales. They are never accurate anyway! Ha!Ha!

anon : Wanna join the legal profession?

 

At 2:41 pm, Blogger backStreetGluttons

U should also try some in PJ, they r good too !