Friday, November 17, 2006
posted by PabloPabla at 10:12 am


This is a post to get you thinking...

At the UMNO General Assembly, some speakers reminded the people out there "Not to test our patience" and that "We will defend (our rights) to the last drop of our blood" and "When tension rises, the blood of Malay warriors will run in our veins". One leader even waved a keris (traditional Malay weapon) as a symbol (go ask him what it symbolises). Freedom of speech and expression granted and exercised notwithstanding it may sound inflammatory or be deemed as a threat to the "other" people out there. But it is freedom we are talking about. So, we should not question their rights to express themselves they way they did. And we should not because we would be hypocrites if we deny them the right to express themselves based on our standard of limits.

However, I wonder ... if speakers from MCA, MIC or other BN component parties were to make speeches alike "Not to test the patience of the Chinese / Indian / etc people", "We will defend / fight for our rights to the last drop of our blood" or "When tension arises, the blood of Chinese / Indian / etc warriors will run in our veins", what would the responses be like?

I hope the UMNO leaders would not be hypocrites to deny the members of BN component parties or even, members of the Opposition parties to make similar speeches or even demand an apology. Hey! The UMNO leaders should also not be hypocrites if members of the public of whatever political affiliation make similar speeches.

So, I will make a statement here.

Dear Government, please don't test my patience. I voted for you the last round because I was promised by you transparency, accountability, development, prudence etc. Unfortunately, I am not convinced by your promises till today. I will continue to fight for my rights and feel a tension within me. But don't worry. I will not use blood or cause blood shed. Jesus said "for all who draw the sword will die by the sword" (Matthew 26:52). I will exercise my rights as a voter instead. I will exercise my full rights as a citizen of this country. As a Malaysian. If you care for my vote at all, please practise what you preach about transparency, accountability, development, prudence etc.


Technorati Tags : , , , ,


 

5 comments:


At 11:11 am, Blogger Wuching

aiyo..dun get me started on politic lah.

 

At 3:11 pm, Blogger Helen

Only the dark fears light.

 

At 4:06 pm, Blogger PabloPabla

wuching : You will find politics everywhere ;)

helen : Bingo!

 

At 1:36 am, Blogger Trashed

You missed the message : The UMNO controlled BN does not need your vote.

 

At 9:56 am, Blogger mamat

Trashed.
UMNO controlled BN do not need your vote? Agreed... Because they get them votes through the component parties such as Gerakan and MCA.

The very least, they could always use machineries like SPR, JPN, and the colluding generals to help them out to cheat and win big all the times!

Pablopabla.
Freedom of speech is there, but what is frightening is whether there will still be a 'Freedom after speech' for the speaker who dared not to conform to the ruling government of the day!