Tuesday, April 03, 2007
posted by PabloPabla at 9:30 am


I confess that blogs are meant to be an expression of a blogger's mind. Or at least, that was how it was originally created many many moons ago. However, there are times when something useful or informative or instructive comes along and a blogger wants to share it with others. The words speak for themselves and there is actually no need to add on to them. And this is one of them. It may seem to be only applicable to mothers. But it is also applicable to fathers. And for those who are not parents, it is also applicable to you in relation to your parents. Even though it came through a Christian organisation, the values are universal. It's reflective. Do read it.


Before I Fly Off the Handle Again
By Lysa TerKeurst

“Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them slip from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them.” (Deuteronomy 4:9, NIV)

Devotion:

It was a simple request. I had asked my daughters to practice their piano pieces before the teacher arrived for lessons. When they didn’t listen to my request, I became angry.

Anger was not the correct response. The way I should have responded was to calmly reprimand their disobedience and give them a consequence for their poor choice. But anger pushed my emotions beyond calm into chaos. My voice went higher in pitch and stronger in volume. Children not practicing their piano lessons should not have caused me to get so angry. What was the real issue here?

The week before the piano teacher had informed me that it was evident my kids had not had enough practice time. When she said this, my mind kicked into overdrive as I defined what she must have meant by this statement. Good moms make sure their children practice at least 30 minutes a day. Good moms help their kids stay on top of their theory assignments. Good moms ensure each child makes progress that week.

I held these unspoken but assumed interpretations up against my reality. The reality was I had no idea if my kids had even sat at the piano once that week. When I held my reality up against what I assumed to be her standard, I fell horribly short. I let my kids’ poor choices be a defining reflection of what kind of mother I am. Ever been there?

There are three fundamental parenting truths that we would do well to remember in situations like this. First, refuse to dive below the surface of people’s comments and blow them out of proportion. We moms can really do a number on ourselves with crazy assumptions, misinterpretations and dangerous comparisons. The reality was the teacher made a simple statement that my kids could use some more practice. So, tackle that issue plain and simple.

Second, there should be consequences for irresponsibility so that the pressure to remember is on them, not me. My kids are old enough to remember to practice piano on their own. If they make an irresponsible choice, they should feel embarrassed, not me.

Finally, I must operate in truth when it comes to my identity. Just because someone forgets to practice their piano, or does one of the hundreds of other irresponsible things kids do, does not change my identity. I am not a perfect mom, but I am a good mom. A good mom’s job is to love her kids, correct them, and model godly attitudes, actions, and reactions.


Dear Lord, Give me Your definition of what a good mom is for my specific children. You have entrusted these precious souls to me, and I don’t want to mess up. Help me hold on to Your truths and to resist Satan’s pull toward comparisons and assumptions. Help me keep my emotions in check and my heart in tune with You. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.


 

1 comments:


At 10:59 am, Blogger Horny Ang Moh

Hallo Pablopabla! Good day to u. First put uself in your children shoes, think of your childhood, what will u be doing at this age. If u can give that to your child & understand their need I am sure u will earn their trust( but of couse time is different we use to play mable, now kids play pc game, but them still play ).Afterthat I am sure 'controling'& 'instructing' your child will be easier. But of couse as parent we cannot give total freedom to them we have to give guidance & some caneing for difficult child, always explain to them why we punished them telling & explaining to them.
To me a good mum is a mum who can guide & look after a child both physically & mentally, a mum a child can trust & depend totally.